Thursday 10 May 2012

Phrases you never thought you would say

When you start out in this, there are certain phrases you know will come with the territory.  The basics of "That is hot",  "Look!  Cow!!"  (no-one mentions that you will do that when you have only adults in the car too), and "Because I said so" you already know you will say.  Obviously there are also the less wholesome of "Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about" (don't look at me like that, you know you have said similar!) and "I wish the goblins would come and take you away..."  (I can't ever bring myself to add "right now").  But some are just completely unexpected.

When the Dude was little I had the fun of "No, you don't wee out of the cat flap!!  I don't care if it was closer and you really needed to and the cat wasn't using it at the time!".

Today was another one where I heard myself and thought "You just said that!?!?" and it seemed perfectly normal at the time...

"All good fairies hold hands to cross the road."

It was said in a very knowing voice.

I was totally convincing, I even convinced myself, that good fairies did hold hands to cross the road.  I have no idea what bad fairies do.  You would think they would all just fly over the cars anyway tbh.

It worked though.  Strawb went from "NO!!  MINE FLY!!"  to taking my hand and happily toddling across the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment